Tuesday, December 30, 2008

RPGs for kids between 7 and 11

When I was in primary school, I did not want to play some game about animals, cartoons and fairy tales. That's what I am into now.
I wanted games that reminded me of all those movies I had no chance to watch like Star Wars, Conan, Dragon Slayer or Dune. I was into Masters of the Universe and Batman and Spider-Man. I was into toy guns and playing "all adults turned evil and the kids must kill them" with Playmobil and Lego.

Actually the transit from playing with action figures to RPGs was very organic. We basically did the same things, just with character sheets, where we needed toys before.

But most important: I think that any set of freestyle rules like Risus or indie games would have been much more difficult for me to grasp than classic old school RPGs. (Actually - being from Europe - I played The Dark Eye.)

No comments: